www.boerafrikana.com: Tuisblad > Kaapprovinsie

Kaap fotos 1

Kaap Fotos 2

Kaap fotos 3

Kaap fotos 4

Karel Landman Monument, Alexandria, Port Elizabeth

Retiefmonument, Port Elizabeth

Andries Pretorius standbeeld, Graaf-Reinette

Simboliese Ossewagedenkteken, Worcester

Taalmonument, Burgersdorp

Hildebrandmonument, Darling

Die Franse Hugenote, Franschoek

Gideon Scheepers, Graaf-Reinet

Bybelmonument, Grahamstad

Jan van Riebeeck, Kaapstad

Maria van Riebeeck, Kaapstad

Kaaps Hollandse Boustyl, Kaapstad

De Posthuys, Kaapstad

Koopmans de Wet-huis, Kaapstad

J.H. Hofmeyr (Onze Jan), Kaapstad

J.C. Smuts, Kaapstad

Groote Kerk, Kaapstad

Magersfontein, Kimberley

Genootskap van Regte Afrikaners, Oos-Londen

Arbeidsgenot, Oudtshoorn

Strooidakkerk, Paarl

Taalbakens, Paarl

Taalmonument, Paarl

Afrikaanse Taalmuseum, Stellenbosch

Koetsiershuis, Stellenbosch


Ds J.H. Neethling, Stellenbosch

Jan Marais, Stellenbosch

D.F. Malan, Stellenbosch

Drosdy, Swellendam

Kaart vd Kaapprovinsie

  Kaart van die Kaapkolonie omstreeks 1809



Places named after members of the Council of Policy

A number of towns in the former Cape Colony were named after members of the Council of Policy and/or family members. These place names still exist and form part of the South African name heritage. Where possible, the first time a particular place name appears in the Resolutions the context, date and volume number are provided.

  • Riebeek-Kasteel (Riebeekscasteel, 13.3.1701, C. 24) [Riebeek’s Castle] is the name of a mountain that was named in honour of Jan van Riebeeck on 3 February 1661 by Pieter Cruythoff and the members of his expedition.
  • Stellenbosch (Stellenbos, 27.10.1681, C. 15) was named in 1679 by Simon van der Stel after himself and the “Wilde Bosch” [wild forest] there. In 1685 the village was founded.
  • The Drakenstein region (25.12.1687, C. 19) was named in October 1687 in honour of the High Commissioner, Hendrik Adriaan van Rheede tot Drakenstein, who had visited the Cape two years previously. In 1687 Governor Simon van der Stel opened this region to farmers.
  • The region Land van Waveren (13.4.1711, C. 28) was named in 1699 by Willem Adriaan van der Stel in honour of the Oetgens van Waveren family, from which his mother was descended. Before this date, but also subsequent to it, the region had also been known as Roodezand (Roodesand, 1.6.1698, C. 23) [red sand]. The region corresponds to the present Tulbagh district, named after Governor Ryk Tulbagh.
  • Swellendam (25.6.1748, C. 126) situated in the South Cape was named in October 1747 after Governor Hendrik Swellengrebel (1700-1760) and his wife, Helena ten Damme.
  • While on his journey to the interior Governor Joachim van Plettenberg named Plettenbergbaai (Plettenbergs baaij, 17.6.1785, C. 168) in September 1778 after himself.
  • Graaff-Reinet (Graaff Rijnet, 13.12.1785, C. 169) situated in the Eastern Cape, was named in 1786 by Landdrost Woeke in honour of Governor Jacobus van der Graaff and his wife, Reinet.
  • Gordon's Bay was named after Colonel Robert Jakob Gordon, who arrived at the Cape in 1777 as captain and later took charge of the garrison.

British take-over of the Cape of Good Hope

Financial and commercial setbacks in the midst of contradictory political factors (the war between the Netherlands and England , 1780-1784, as well as the Great Revolution that started in 1789 in France , which declared war against England and the Republic of the Netherlands ) forced the VOC to cut down expenses and to reorganise the Company. After their arrival at the Cape in June 1792, the Commissioners-General S.C. Nederburgh and S.H. Frijkenius introduced certain changes. In Europe history also took a turn when French troops occupied the Netherlands in 1795 and thus made a Batavian take-over possible. Prince Willem V fled to England.

On 11 June 1795 an English fleet under the command of Admiral Elphinstone and General Craig anchored in Simon’s Bay. Although Commissioner Sluysken and the Council of Policy refused to surrender they were in a weak military position. After a month of skirmishes at Muizenburg the English gained a victory over the Cape militia. On the last page of the last volume in which the Resolutions of the Council of Policy are contained (C. 231), appears the written conditions of “Capitulation” in both English and Dutch, signed on 16 September 1795.

In 1799 the Batavian Republic abolished the “Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie”.


Afrikaanse Taalmuseum - Stellenbosch

Arbeidsgenot - Oudtshoorn

Hugenote Monument - Franshoek, Kaapprovinsie

Koopmans DeWet Huis - Kaapstad

bo-aan bladsy
Hoofblad | Web meester